What is ArtFutura?
What is ArtFutura?
Since January 1990, ArtFutura, the festival of Digital Culture and Creativity, has explored the most interesting projects and ideas on the international panorama of New Media, Virtual Reality, Interactive Design and Digital Animation in cities like Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Ibiza, London, Madrid, Montevideo, Paris, Rome and many others.
Its activities include:
- Interactive Installations
- Live Performances
Among the festival’s participants in previous editions:
William Gibson, Theo Jansen, Toshio Iwai, Laurie Anderson, Hiroshi Ishii, Paul Friedlander, Moebius, David Byrne, Masaya Matsuura, Howard Rheingold, Timothy Leary, Tomato, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Rebecca Allen, Ryota Kuwakubo, Mariscal, Orlan, Yoichiro Kawaguchi, Brian Eno,Karl Sims, Marcel.lí Antúnez, Arthur Kroker, Xeni Jardin, Universal Everything.
Also, organizations and companies such as:
Ars Electronica, Industrial Light & Magic, Weta Digital, Pixar, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Digital Domain, SAT Montreal, Blast Theory, UVA, Amorphic Robot Works, Improv Everywhere, The Creators Project and the MIT Media Lab.
The GaleriaFutura division promotes the most exhibitable aspects of the new digital creativity. From New Media to Virtual Reality.
Among its projects, there’s the large-scale exhibition “SoulsandMachines” at the Museo Nacional Reina Sofía in Madrid, which drew more than 450.000 visitors. And, more recently, “Digital Creatures”, exhibited in Rome.
Throughout these years, ArtFutura has shown that, at the beginning of this new millennium, art and science are following parallel paths. And that, now more than ever, creativity finds in digital technology an extraordinary medium.
Always enhancing the most human aspects of these new technologies. And not only showing the capacity of these new extraordinay tools, but also questioning their own nature and where they take us.
More information at:
- Catalogs – Read and download the ArtFutura’s catalogs
- Vídeos @ Vimeo – ArtFutura’s Videos
- Videos @ YouTube – ArtFutura’s Videos
- Wikipedia – ArtFutura according to Wikipedia
- Past Editions – Links to authors and websites from past editions
- New York Times – Seurat Painted Dots. These Artists Use Bits
- La Stampa – ArtFutura Creature digitali: Artisti-scienziati
- ArShake – ArtFutura. Digital Creatures
- Agencia EFE – Las “criaturas digitales” campan por Roma
- El País – Veinte Años de ArtFutura
- International Herald Tribune – Sound and Light at ArtFutura